The dish goes well if it is accompanied with a green leaf lettuce and a cucumber salad as well as a dinner roll. In the recipe, you can substitute the potatoes with plantains or corn.
Beef/Turkey stew, served with green leaf lettuce and a cucumber salad.
- Lean beef/turkey breast (cut into cubes) - 1 pound
- Whole wheat flour - 2 Tablespoonfuls
- Salt (optional) - 1/4 teaspoonful
- Pepper - 1/4 teaspoonful
- Cummin - 1/4 teaspoonful
- Olive Oil - 1 & 1/2 Tablespoonfuls
- Minced cloves garlic - 2
- Sliced medium onions - 2
- Sliced celery - 2 stalks
- Medium red or green bell pepper (sliced) - 1
- medium tomato (finely minced) - 1
- Beef/turkey broth (without fat) - 5 cups
- Small carrots (cut into large chunks) - 12
- Green peas - 1 & 1/4 cups
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin.
- Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, and then add beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, for about 7-10 minutes.
- Place beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
- Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until tender.