It is a Turk/Russian type of kebab. It is marinated skewered lamb, grilled perfectly and combined with grilled vegetables that make the dish an ultimate cookout food.
It is grilled perfectly and combined with grilled vegetables.
- Lamb trimmed of all fat (leg/shoulder cut into 2 - 1 lb
- Lemon juice - 1/2 cup
- Olive oil - 1/2 cup
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- ground red pepper (cayenne) - 1/4 teaspoon
- Medium onions (cut into eighths) - 2
- cherry tomatoes - 1 pint
- Large green peppers (cut into 1 inch chunks) - 2
• Combine lamb, olive oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt and red pepper in a bowl. Allow to marinate at least 2-3 hours prior to cooking. • Place marinated beef on skewers (about 6 cubes per skewer). Make sure that you apply a light coat of oil on the skewer before you thread the meat. • Place vegetables on separate skewers, alternating type of vegetable. The meat and veggies are cooked on different skewers because the meat will take longer to grill. • Cook lamb shashlik skewers on grill or under broiler for 10-12 minutes, or until desired doneness. Turn to ensure even cooking. • Grill vegetable skewers for last 5 minutes of grilling. Turn. The vegetable should be crisp, yet tender. Be careful not to overcook.